Les orgues de Paris
ORGUES DE PARIS © 2018 Vincent Hildebrandt ACCUEIL COLOPHON

Gonzalez-Danion-

Dargassies 1 - 2

Victor Gonzalez (1877-1956) was an organ builder of Spanish origin and a pupil of Cavaillé-Coll and Merklin. He founded in 1922 his own company in Vanves and Châtillon-sous-Bagneux (Paris region). Together with Norbert Dufourcq, Bérenger de Miramon Fitz-James and André Marchal, he gave birth to the neo-classical organ concept. He did construct and restore a number of instruments in Paris. After his death in 1956, the firm was led by Georg Danion. Georg Danion (1922-2005) was about to start a carrier as violist when the second world war break out. During that war, he met Annik Gonzalez, one of the daughters of Fernand Gonzalez, Victor’s son, who worked with him in the company. After the war George Danion married Annik and Annik made him discover the metier of organ building. As Fernand died in the war, he could soon replace his father-in -law in the firm. When Victor died in 1956, Danion took over the firm. In 1962, he bought the Maison Jacquot-Lavergne and transferred his workshop to that company in Rambervilliers (Vosges), with an annex near Paris (Brunoy). In 1988, Georges et Annik Danion-Gonzalez left the firm in Rambervilliers in favor of Jean-Michel Jamet and Bernard Dargassies and moved to Lodève, where they had founded the Manufacture Languedocienne de grandes orgues in 1980, at the former place of the workshop of the organ builder Edmond Costa (Manufacture Lodévoise de grands orgues, 1961-1972). In 1998, at the retirement of Danion, the management of this firm was taken over by Charles-Emmanuel Sarélot (son of Charles Sarelot, organ builder). The Danion-Gonzalez firm constructed and restored a great number of Parisian organs and was the main competitor of the Beuchet-Debiere firm in the second half of the XXth century. In the last decennia of the XXth century, the Manufacture Vosgienne de Grandes Orgues Bernard Dargassies was the most important organ builder in the Parisian region. Bernard Dargassies Jaquot-Jeanpierre / Jacquot-Lavergne Jean-Marc Cicchero
The neo-classical French school Until 1925, organ aesthetics had followed music trends of the end of the 19th century and of the beginning of the 20th century with romantic and symphonic music. Organ builders of this period, for which the most renowned were Merklin and Cavaillé-Coll, offered organ design with an important number of foundation ranks and a significant expressive great section, providing a very symphonic sound result. Therefore, we speak about orchestral organ. The neo-classic organ is the outcome of the collaboration of Victor Gonzalez, the musicologist Norbert Dufourcq and Master André Marchal, titular organist, among others, of the Saint Eustache's great organ from 1945 till 1963. While preserving the best of the symphonic color of organs of organ builders such as Cavaillé-Coll or Merklin, the neo- classic aesthetics reintroduced more brilliant colors with mixtures, mutation ranks and clearer and softer reeds. Source: Marc Perrot
Les orgues de Paris

Gonzalez-Danion-

Dargassies 1 - 2

ORGUES DE PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt COLOPHON
Victor Gonzalez (1877-1956) was an organ builder of Spanish origin and a pupil of Cavaillé-Coll and Merklin. He founded in 1922 his own company in Vanves and Châtillon-sous-Bagneux (Paris region). Together with Norbert Dufourcq, Bérenger de Miramon Fitz-James and André Marchal, he gave birth to the neo-classical organ concept. He did construct and restore a number of instruments in Paris. After his death in 1956, the firm was led by Georg Danion. Georg Danion (1922-2005) was about to start a carrier as violist when the second world war break out. During that war, he met Annik Gonzalez, one of the daughters of Fernand Gonzalez, Victor’s son, who worked with him in the company. After the war George Danion married Annik and Annik made him discover the metier of organ building. As Fernand died in the war, he could soon replace his father-in -law in the firm. When Victor died in 1956, Danion took over the firm. In 1962, he bought the Maison Jacquot-Lavergne and transferred his workshop to that company in Rambervilliers (Vosges), with an annex near Paris (Brunoy). In 1988, Georges et Annik Danion-Gonzalez left the firm in Rambervilliers in favor of Jean-Michel Jamet and Bernard Dargassies and moved to Lodève, where they had founded the Manufacture Languedocienne de grandes orgues in 1980, at the former place of the workshop of the organ builder Edmond Costa (Manufacture Lodévoise de grands orgues, 1961-1972). In 1998, at the retirement of Danion, the management of this firm was taken over by Charles-Emmanuel Sarélot (son of Charles Sarelot, organ builder). The Danion-Gonzalez firm constructed and restored a great number of Parisian organs and was the main competitor of the Beuchet-Debiere firm in the second half of the XXth century. In the last decennia of the XXth century, the Manufacture Vosgienne de Grandes Orgues Bernard Dargassies was the most important organ builder in the Parisian region. Bernard Dargassies Jaquot-Jeanpierre / Jacquot-Lavergne Jean-Marc Cicchero